This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Our cottage is a Grade II listed terraced house built in the 1840s. It has recently been renovated and modernised. We have tried to provide as much information as possible in this statement, if you have any queries please do call.
• We have a website at www.westbaycottage.co.uk with photos of every room, room descriptions, online availability and prices.
• The owners can be contacted by phone, post or email.
• Nearest train stations are Axminster (14 miles, approximately 21 minutes by car), Crewkerne (14 miles, 27 minutes), Dorchester (16 miles, 25 minutes) and Weymouth (23 miles, 33 minutes).
• The X53 bus service runs between Exeter and Poole, stopping at many towns and villages including West Bay and Weymouth.
• The nearest bus stop in West Bay is about 100m from the cottage, in front of The George Hotel.
• Distance to Bridport, the nearest town, is approximately 1.5 miles. Buses run regularly between West Bay and Bridport.
• There are several shops in West Bay, including a convenience store, newsagents and fishmongers. The shops are about 150m from the cottage, a level walk.
• The nearest RADAR toilets are on the East Beach approximately 200m from the cottage and at the main car park on West Bay Road.
•The main car park is less than 200m from the cottage.
• The main car park and the harbour area are level but there is a gentle incline to the esplanade where it is level again.
Arrival and Parking
• There is a private gravelled area in front of 1, 2 and 3 Swains Row where guests can load and unload cars and may be able to use as parking space although this is not guaranteed. This area leads through a gate to a paved path to the front door and is all level.
• Free parking is available on George Street, right next to Swains Row.
• There is an exterior light on the front wall of the cottage.
• The main entrance is the front door. The key for this door is handed over by the key holder/caretaker on arrival.
• The front door is 76cm by 193cm.
• The stone step from the outside is 9cm high. There is then an 8cm step through the front door into the living area.
• In the cupboard to the right of the fireplace is a comprehensive information pack and a box file has plenty of leaflets on local attractions.
Stairs, Landing, Passageway
• The downstairs is all level.
• The passageway to the back door, boiler cupboard and bathroom is 72cm wide (narrowest part).
• The back door measures 84cm by 193cm high. The doorstep is 15cm high.
• Beside the kitchen area is the staircase to the first floor bedrooms. There are 9 stairs leading a small landing 67cm by 71cm. There is a further 3 stairs at right angles to the first set. At the top is a small landing 70cm by 180cm. Width of stairs is 69cm.
• There is a handrail on the left hand side of the stairs, height 85cm.
• The stairs are carpeted. The flooring of the top landing is wooden floorboards.
Open plan living, dining and kitchen area
• All flooring is flagstone.
The living area
• One non-slip mat inside front door.
• One double sofa (not movable).
• One wicker chair and one tub chair with arms, fully movable.
• One wicker stool (can be used as foot stool).
• TV with DVD player provided with remote control (also available is stereo with CD, radio with remote control). The TV has Teletext.
• Cupboard above TV with shelves at heights 115cm and 154cm containing books, maps, games as well as the welcome information.
• One short pile wool rug in front of fireplace (non-slip).
• There is free space of 152cm by 220cm clear of doors and furniture.
The dining area
• Rectangular Table 72cm floor to lowest point of table (underspace), 119cm long, 74cm wide. One end of the table is against the wall. Two chairs and two stools. Gap (stool position) between the wall / kitchen cabinet and table is approx 30cm each side (although table can be moved which will vary measurements). The outside chairs are fully movable.
The kitchen area
• Floorspace is 1.62m by 2.83m with work surface to the right and under stairs cupboards to the left.
• The work surface is 91cm high and 62cm deep and 2.83m long, including the sink and electric hob.
• A microwave is available at 50cm height.
• Crockery, glasses, cups, pots and pans, cooking accessories are provided in the under stairs cupboards. The shelves in these are at heights 94cm, 53cm and floor level. Cutlery and cooking utensils are provided in the drawers under the worktop, height 70cm.
• The electric oven can be accessed from the front and right hand side. The oven door is drop down.
• The fridge is under the work surface with a small 4* ice box at 68cm.
• The kitchen is lit by a set of spotlights.
Bathroom (ground floor)
• The door to the bathroom measures 67cm by 189cm. Release mechanism on outside of locked door at height 134cm.
• Flooring is flagstone.
• Bath with flexible shower over. Max height of shower head is 180 cm. Tap lever is twist (temp) and pull (flow).
• Entry to bath is from the side. Bath height is 65cm. Bath length is 158 cm. Bath width is 69cm.
• Free space in bathroom (free of doors and furniture) is 2.2m by 80cm.
• Toilet seat height 42cm
• Washbasin height is 80cm with mirror over. Mixer tap.
• The room has a wall mounted heated towel rail.
Bedrooms (first floor)
• All bedrooms are upstairs and are unsuitable for wheelchair users as there is no lift.
• Door 75cm wide by 189cm.
• Wooden floorboards with non-slip mats by bed.
• There is a pine double bed – 4′ 6″ mattress. Bed height 47cm floor to top of mattress. Pillows are feather. Duvet is non-feather.
• The space to the left of the bed is 56cm wide.
• The space to the right of the bed is 83cm.
• The space at the end of the bed is 50cm (at narrowest).
• The main room light has a switch at the door. There are two separate reading lamps available by each side of the bed.
• Door 75cm wide by 189cm high.
• Wooden floorboards.
• There is a single bed – 3′ mattress. Bed height 50cm floor to top of mattress. Pillows are feather. Duvet is feather.
• The space to the right of the bed is 80cm. There is no space to left of bed (against wall).
• There is a captain’s bed – 2′ 6″ mattress. Bed height 80cm floor to top of mattress. A step stool is provided to climb up to bed.
• The space to the right of the bed is 174cm. There is no space to left of bed (against wall).
• The main room light has a switch at the door. There are two separate halogen lamps available by the side of each bed.
Grounds and Gardens
• Flat paved patio area to back of house. Table and chairs.
• Outdoor light.
• Good mobile phone reception.
• Wi-Fi Internet access.
• No pets are allowed.
• The premises are non smoking.
• There are mains fire alarms fitted throughout together with a fire extinguisher and fire blanket.
• There is a carbon monoxide detector.
• No alterations planned.
Property Address: 2 Swains Row, West Bay, Bridport, Dorset DT6 4EX
• Contact telephone: 01727 844 377
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website: www.westbaycottage.co.uk
• Hours of operation: 09:00 to 21:00
• Emergency number: 07711 526 029
• Dorset buses website or call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 for timetable information.
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve. If you have any comments please get in touch.